Action movies are the stuff of legend. For some, they seem like petulant little movies made with no real story. But for aficionados, action movies have everything in them — action (of course), adventure, sensuality, explosions, fast cars, and fight sequences. The list could go on.
One thing that is a bit interesting about action movie fans is the fact that true fans try to know as many details as they can about their favorite movies in so much as to almost become 123movies online walking encyclopedias of knowledge & points of reference fit for your local restaurant’s trivia night. But much the same way that life works, you can’t know everything, and this is where this particular collection of facts shows its worth!
Here are five cool facts about some of your favorite action movies you never knew but will be sure to remember forever:
1. Silence of the Lambs – Most people tend to criticize big Hollywood action films by noting they have nothing to offer in real worth when it comes to an actual story worth checking out. Even though some may find this movie more suspenseful, it does keep you on the edge of your seat. ‘Silence’ is one of only a handful of films to have earned Academy Awards for the top categories (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Screenplay).
2. The Fast and the Furious – Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster, did not have drivers licenses or even permits before production of the film. While this may seem somewhat odd, many actors and actresses focus their attention on their craft from a young age, sometimes bypassing milestones like this.
3. Jaws – Nearly a fourth of the movie was filmed from the surface of the water level. This unique perspective is key to the film’s terror as audiences could feel as though they were treading water or the very least to be near “Bruce”, the name given to the mechanical shark used during filming. The fact that only about 25% of the movie was shot this way is amazing when you consider that most of the more memorable sequences of the movie are all based in the water.
4. Gone with the Wind – Though often seen as a historical drama or even (oddly enough) as a romantic movie, ‘Gone’ is celebrated for its massive undertaking & sweeping look at a bygone era over the course of many generations. While the movie tends to have beautiful imagery of plantation life, it’s the ferocious action sequences & suspenseful scenes that take your breath away. This film was the first color film to win an Oscar for Best Picture.
5. X-Men – Though they give off an air of sophistication and class, actors Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan had actually never played a game of chess in their lives. While not the most gritty action movie tidbit, it’s important to mention simply because far too many movie patrons are not willing to suspend all disbelief. It’s all about the details.